In the digital age we live in, we are constantly exposed to the screens of electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, tablets and televisions. These devices emit blue light, also known as narrowband light, which can have negative effects on our long-term eye health. In this article, we will explore what blue light is, its potential risks and how to protect your eyes from damage resulting from prolonged use of digital devices through so-called blue light glasses.
WHAT IS BLUE LIGHT?
Blue light is a part of the visible light spectrum and has a higher frequency than other wavelengths in the spectrum. It is naturally present in sunlight and is also responsible for the brightness of the daytime sky. However, our exposure to blue light has increased dramatically with the advent of digital devices, as the screens of these devices emit a significant amount of blue light at a short distance from our eyes.
POTENTIAL RISKS OF BLUE LIGHT TO THE EYES
Studies have suggested that excessive exposure to blue light from digital devices can have several negative effects on eye health. Some of the potential risks include:
- EYE FATIGUE: Prolonged exposure to blue light can cause visual fatigue, dry eye symptoms and general eye discomfort.
- SLEEP DISORDERS: blue light affects the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. Heavy use of devices before bed can disturb sleep and cause insomnia.
- MACULAR DEGENERATION: Some studies have suggested that excessive exposure to blue light may be linked to macular degeneration, a condition that can lead to loss of central vision.
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR EYES?
Fortunately, there are several measures we can take to protect our eyes from excessive exposure to blue light and reduce potential risks:
- Night Mode: Most devices offer night mode or warm light mode. This feature reduces the amount of blue light emitted by the screen during the evening hours, helping to preserve the quality of sleep.
- Eye Break: Take regular breaks when using digital devices. Every 20 to 30 minutes, look into the distance for a few minutes to relax your eyes.
- Adequate Lighting: Make sure the environment where you use digital devices has good lighting. Reduce the contrast between the screen and the surrounding environment to avoid excessive strain on the eyes.
- Limit Screen Time: Try to limit the time spent on digital devices, especially before bed.
- Blue Blocking Glasses: Consider purchasing glasses with an anti-blue light treatment. These glasses are designed to block harmful blue light from devices and reduce eye strain.
DISCOVER THE SPECIFIC TREATMENT TO REDUCE BLUE LIGHT
The blue light radiation emitted by artificial light sources or from TV, smartphone, tablet and PC screens can be irritating and cause strain on our eyes. When we are in a dark room, or outdoors at dusk or at night, our eyes switch to a different viewing mode. In low light conditions, the human eye switches from sensitivity to green to sensitivity to the high-energy blue spectrum. It follows that we perceive blue light more intensely and therefore can experience a sensation of greater glare.
At Ottica Rizzato we recommend the use of lenses with a specific treatment for the reduction of blue light with the aim of improving visual comfort, reducing glare, improving image contrast and consequently reducing visual fatigue, with all the related symptoms.
BlueControl is the specific treatment for ophthalmic lenses, suitable for any age group, which – in addition to maintaining all the advantages of a classic anti-reflective treatment, including optimized scratch resistance and ease of cleaning – allows the reduction of blue light in selectively corresponding to the emission peak of digital devices (445-455 nm), through a reflection of light by the surface of the lenses, guaranteeing:
- Reduction of excess blue light
- Visual comfort all day long
- Glare reduction
- Greater contrast
In conclusion, the blue light emitted by digital devices can have negative effects on eye health, but by taking simple precautionary measures, you can protect your vision and reduce the risk of disorders related to excessive use of these devices. Maintaining a balanced lifestyle, with regular eye breaks and moderation in device use, will help preserve long-term eye health.
If you always want the best in technology: your eyes deserve the best too.
We are waiting for you in store to discover the anti-blue light protection!